This article describes the steps required for the initial configuration and usage of a USB 3G/4G modem dongle using the PPP Widget 3 application.
Note: Make sure that your USB dongle is not plugged in before you start.
- Long press on the desktop and navigating to Widgets > PPP Widget 3.
- Click on the widget and drag it to a free spot on your desktop.
- The widget will start the basic initialization and ask for feature permissions.
Warning: This includes root, which gives it privileges to access the data of other applications and private data stored on the device.
- If everything went fine, you should see the message No modem found.
Otherwise, see the troubleshooting section.
- After the widget was successfully initialized, you can change the widget configuration.
- Plug in the USB modem.
- Reboot your device.
- Continue reading the next section to set up your device.
- Shortly after emteria.OS finishes the boot process a new message should appear, asking if PPP Widget 3 may access the USB device. Confirm with OK.
- The widget will automatically initialize the detected device. If everything went fine, you should see the message Disconnected and current signal strength on the right side of the widget. Otherwise, see the troubleshooting section.
- Click Connect in order to dial in and open a new network.
- Android creates an additional warning that this connection was created by a third-party application, which may monitor the traffic.
- After the connection was established, the widget caption changes to Connected. The device should now have full Internet access.
List of tested hardware
Following USB 3G/4G dongles were successfully tested with emteria.OS. The vast majority of other existing USB modems should work too but may require a different configuration.
- Huawei E3372 LTE USB Stick
- Use Alternate Mode for Huawei Modems: unchecked
- Open Browser with Modem Page: unchecked
- Use the native USB code included in PPP Wid
Try the following steps:
- Re-add the widget to the desktop.
- Re-plug the USB modem.
- Unplug all USB devices and plug in the USB modem first.
- Change the device configuration according to the description above.